Monday, November 28, 2005

Jonah Goldberg in Seattle!

How'd I miss this? I've gotta start reading the corner every half hour, I guess. Anyway, here's what he has to say:
I'm heading back to DC in a few hours. I always have such mixed feelings about Seattle. On the one hand, there's a lot to like about this town and this region. It's my kind of weather, my kind of food, etc. But I'm always amazed at how pre-Giuliani so much of the downtown is. I'm baffled at how the business community and the tourist industry can cave to the drug-addict romanticizers and panhandler enablers. There is so much skeeviness and bummery going on right at the heart of why people come to this town in the first place. And, it's not just to prey on the tourists, there are half-way houses, methadone clinics, etc all near Pike's. I don't folllow Seattle politics so I don't know how the arguments play out, but I'd have to guess there are West Coast versions of the same jackasses who thought drug dealing, transvestite hookers, and robbery were what gave Times Square its authenticity and "charm."
Sorry you didn't have a better time, Jonah. Yeah, you're right about the bums. I think what's happening is a growth in shopping districts such as the University Village, just north of Husky stadium, which is privately owned and is therefore free to boot out anybody who doesn't have a latte in their hand. Which leaves the SPD mounties free to loaf around on top of their horses and watch the homeless vomit in the streets.

What I've noticed are the hordes of mentally ill staggering about the streets, and somehow I think that's connected to a lack of public funding for mental hospitals. But that's a whole nuther story. Anyway, give us some advance warning next time. Would like to buy you a drink or three next time you're in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home