Saturday, May 07, 2005

James Wolcott's Southern Discomfort

Kathryn Jean Lopez (somewhat sarcastically) noted Wolcott's comments about the NRO fundraiser in Atlanta last night, and then Jonah Goldberg posted a yawn and Warren Bell's added a comment of his own.

I've always kind of liked Wolcott. He's witty and obviously a pretty smart guy, and on top of that he's written a pretty good novel, 'The Catsitters." So I thought I'd check out the comments on his website myself. I was a little surprised to read imagined scenarios of Jonah vomiting under a table and whatnot, but hey, envisioning Derbyshire with his arm around a Hooters waitress is sort of funny, in a school newspaper sorta way. Then I read another piece with comments about a Bill Kristol segment on Fox, and was floored when I saw him going out of his way to write about NRO:

"K'Lo at NRO, who had Richter-scale hills-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-music orgasms when a new Pope was picked, admitted she was watching the prez with only casual attention last night, and this morning had little to add, relying on a reader email from some limp noodle. . ."

Yeesh. I wish he'd write more novels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home